You probably have had Onigiri in your life, correct? What kind is your favorite? If you ever been to “Convini”, a Japanese convenience store or Japanese market you know there’re so many kinds, flavors and fillings to choose from! My favorite is a simple UME ( Japanese palm ) or SAKE ( grilled salmon ) onigiri with a korean seaweed! ONIGIRAZU is a new type of Onigiri born in Japan sometime last year. Do you know anything about it? Let me make it simple, so Onigiri is a rice ball. Nigiri / Nigiru means shaping rice with your hands. Nigirazu means not shaping rice with your hands. You get it? Onigirazu is a rice snack that you don’t shape with your hands. Think how you make a sandwich. That’s exactly how you make Onigirazu! You still need a seaweed to seal rice and filling.
- Easy to make! clean hands.
- You can put anything! ex. Tempura, Katsu and even salad!
- You can see what’s inside so it looks better!
Let’s watch the video below!
Here’s a manga version of how-to “Spam Onizirazu”. ( source)
Pretty simple to make, right? All you need is a seaweed sheet ( a large square ones ) rise and fillings of your choice.
- Lay out some plastic wrap
- Place a piece of Nori sheet / seaweed on top of the plastic wrap
- Place the first layer of white / brown rice
- Next put filling of your choice
- Place the last layer of white / brown rice
- Wrap all of the 4 edges of the nori seaweed sheet on top
- Wrap it all up with the edges of the plastic wrap
Super easy to make so hope you try out!